Bruce A. Buckingham, M.D.
Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Co-Investigator
Stanford University School of Medicine
- Director, Pediatric Diabetes, Lucille Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford University
- Director, Pediatric Endocrinology, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- Professor, Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Principal Investigator, NIH-sponsored DirecNet at Stanford University School of Medicine
- Co-Investigator for Metabolic Intervention Protocol, and Public Relations Committee Chair, Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet
- Co-Director, Diabetes Prevention Trial, Stanford University
Dr. Buckingham's primary work focuses on diabetes research in children, particularly continuous glucose monitoring and immune intervention for the treatment of type 1 diabetes. He has been conducting clinical trials with various sensors for over 10 years. Currently, he is the Principal Investigator on two multicenter studies of continuous glucose monitoring in children. He also has two grants from JDRF to study algorithm development in creating a closed-loop artificial pancreas. Previously, he was Stanford's PI for the Medtronic Minimed Star 1 trial of the Paradigm CGM system.
- Continuous glucose monitoring in children
- Development of a closed-loop for management of persons with type 1 diabetes and for use in pediatric intensive care units
- Use of immunomodulating drugs to prolong islet function at the onset of diabetes
- Diabetes prevention
Dr. Buckingham received his medical degree from University of California at San Diego. He completed his internship, residency, and fellowship at Children's Hospital of Los Angeles.
Well known for his expertise in diabetes treatment and technology, Dr. Buckingham has written numerous publications and presented at meetings around the world. He is a member of the American Diabetes Association, currently serves on the Program Committee, and is Chair of the Council on Youth. He is board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Endocrinology.
To schedule an interview
Please contact Dr. Buckingham at 650-804-0476 or email@example.com.