Tihamer Orban, M.D.
Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Principal Investigator
Joslin Diabetes Center
- Associate Investigator, Immunology and Immunogenetics, Joslin Diabetes Center
- Instructor, Harvard Medical School
- Principal Investigator, Immune Tolerance Network, Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet
At Joslin Diabetes Center, Dr. Orban established assays for humoral markers in the blood to identify people at risk for Type 1 Diabetes. He collaborated with numerous other medical centers to standardize and improve their reliability to predict Type 1 Diabetes. Dr. Orban recently completed a phase 1 clinical trial on a new antigen-based vaccination he pioneered for autoimmune type 1 diabetes. He is the Principal Investigator for major NIH funded networks dedicated to translating basic research into wider clinical applications for autoimmunity prediction, prevention and intervention. He regularly collaborates with investigators at Harvard and several other institutions nationwide.
- Effective interventions to prevent and treat Type 1 Diabetes in children and young adults
- Further understanding the role of human T cells in autoimmunity
- Using large amount of information collected from animal models in the prediction and prevention of type 1 diabetes in humans
Dr. Orban earned his medical degree and board certification in Pediatrics from Medical School Szent-Gyorgyi Albert University, Hungary.
Dr. Orban is a member of both the Endocrine Society of the United States and a funding member of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, London, UK. He acts as a study section reviewer on the Editorial Board of the National Institutes of Health and is a long-time member of the Joslin Diabetes Center Institutional Review Board. Dr. Orban received a Research Fellowship Award from the Academy of Sciences of Hungary and has volunteered for many years at Camp Sunshine, a very visible annual event held in the U.S. (for families living with diabetes).
To schedule an interview
Please contact: Heyam Jalahej, M.D., at 617-713-3463 or email@example.com.