Jay S. Skyler, M.D.
Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Chairman
University of Miami
- Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics, & Psychology, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, & Metabolism, University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
- Associate Director, Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami, FL
- Study Chair, Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet, Diabetes Research Institute
Dr. Skyler's distinguished career in diabetes spans more than four decades. At the University of Miami, he founded and for 10 years served as Director of the Diabetes Metabolic Unit. During that time, the unit attained national and international prominence. He was also on the faculty at Duke University Medical Center, where he was Director of Diabetes & Nutrition Education and Medical Director of the Physician's Associate Program. He worked two years at the National Heart and Lung Institute of the National Institutes of Health.
- Improving the care of Type 1 diabetes patients through meticulous glycemic control, psychosocial and behavioral support, and immune intervention/immunoregulation
- Complications of diabetes
- Relationship between blood pressure and blood glucose
Dr. Skyler received his B.S. from Pennsylvania State University and his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College. He completed his residency and fellowship at Duke University Medical Center.
A former President of the American Diabetes Association, Dr. Skyler has received numerous honors, including Honorary Physician's Associate at Duke University Medical Center; "Distinguished Contributions to the Knowledge of Diabetes Mellitus" by the American Society of Contemporary Medicine & Surgery; and the Banting Medal for Service by the American Diabetes Association. He was also recognized as a Master of the American College of Physicians, the highest level and an honor attained by very few. He was the founding Editor of the American Diabetes Association journal Diabetes Care and served from 1978 to 1982. He is the Scientific Editor of the International Diabetes Monitor, Associate Editor of Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics, and Advisory Editor of Diabetologia, a publication of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. He is also a regular reviewer for many journals, including JAMA and the NEJM.
To schedule an interview
Please contact Nicole Timmons at 305-243-6146 or email@example.com.